Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 100

Because June was so crazy for us and it was our last weekend in Charlottesville, my entire family came over to our house for Father’s Day. I felt bad making the two fathers in my life (my dad & my brother) make the hike over the mountain on the day they are supposed to relax, but I was thankful to have extra time at the house to pack. Plus, they brought moving boxes with them! Win - Win.

Anyway, we had a great afternoon. We ordered a buffet of Chinese food, opened gifts, played cards, and ignored the fact that I was moving soon. My parents were leaving for Italy in just a few days and my Father’s Day gift to him was some travel gear, including one of those passport holders you wear around your neck, under your shirt. Dad put it on right away and wore it the rest of the day. Which meant my brother and I made all kinds of jokes about our dorky, tourist dad. It was fun.

Until we had to say goodbye. I immediately started crying, which was expected, but then my mom burst into tears right away and I couldn’t handle it. My niece and nephew didn’t quite know what to do and my dad just held me extra tight and extra long.

And then my brother got back out of the car and came around to me and said “I told you this the day you got married and my offer still stands- one phone call and I’m there” then he hugged me and got in the car and my whole family waved and waved as they drove away. And I stood on the sidewalk of our house, crying and crying into Josh’s chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment